SIARGAO is a beautiful tropical island located in the province of Surigao del Norte, northeastern Mindanao. It’s well-known as the “Surfing Capital of the Philippines”, but it also offers great scenery, unspoiled white beaches with crystal clear waters, enchanting lagoons and amazing rock formation for non-surfers.
I had planned to go Siargao before but it was not pushed through because I found it expensive to book a direct flight to Siargao from Manila. The price was about Php 3700 – Php 5000 for just one-way.
Thanks to the bloggers and DIY members who shared their budget travel guide to Siargao. I just then realized that it’s not really costly to visit this island since there are other cheaper ways to go there. As my way of giving back, I’m also sharing now my travel guide on how to go to Siargao on a budget.
Travel Period: June 16 – 20, 2017
Budget Travel Guide to Siargao Island
OPTION 1: From Butuan (Bancasi Airport) to Siargao Island
- From Manila, fly to Butuan (Bancasi Airport) (Php 1100 one-way airfare)
- Outside the airport, there’s a van going to Surigao Bus & Jeepney Terminal (Php 200 per head). Travel time is about 2.5hr to 3hrs.
- Then ride a multi-cab or jeepney going to Surigao City Port and Ferry Terminal (Php 10 per head). Travel time is about 10-15mins
- From Surigao Port, take a fastcraft ferry (Fortune Angel) going to Dapa Ferry Terminal in Siargao (Php 220 per head). There’s a terminal fee of Php 10 per head. Travel time is about 2hrs.
- From Dapa Ferry Terminal, you can ride a tricycle going to your hotel. We chose to go to Cloud 9 in Siargao since it’s close to the Boardwalk Surfing Area and it’s also one of the most recommended places to stay in Siargao (Renting a tricycle is Php 300 – good for 3 persons). We stayed at Kesa Cloud 9 Resort (Php 1500 per night / good for 3 persons). Travel time is about 30-40mins.
Travel Time from Butuan Aiport to Siargao Island: approx 5.5hrs – 6.5hrs
Total Expenses: Php 1100 (flight ticket – Manila to Butuan) + Php 530 (transportation from Butuan to Siargao) = Php 1630 per head
The Famous Boardwalk in Cloud 9, Siargao
- 6:45am – Arrived at Butuan City (Bancasi Airport)
- 7:00am – Rode a van going to Surigao Bus & Jeepney Terminal
- 9:50am – Arrived at Surigao Bus & Jeepney Terminal
- 10:15am – Rode a multi-cab going to Surigao City Port & Ferry Terminal
- 10:30am – Took our Lunch. There are carinderias in front of Surigao City Port
- 11:30am – Rode a FastCraft going to Dapa Ferry Terminal in Siargao
- 1:30pm – Arrived at Dapa Ferry Terminal
- 2:00pm – Rode a tricycle going to Cloud 9 Siargao Resort
- 2:30pm – Arrived at Kesa Cloud 9 Resort
FastCraft Schedule (Fortune Angel)
- Surigao to Dapa Ferry Terminal – 11:30am – 1:30pm
- Dapa Ferry Terminal to Surigao – 5:30am – 7:30am
Travel Guide Map from Butuan Airport to Surigao City
OPTION 2: From Cebu International Airport to Siargao Island
- From Manila, fly to Cebu Mactan Airport. Travel time is 1hr.
- From Cebu Mactan Airport, fly to Sayak Airport at Del Carmen, Siargao. Travel time is also 1hr.
- From Siargao Airport, ride a tricycle going to Cloud 9 Siargao. Travel time is about 45mins to 1hr.
- My travel friends, Bonnie and Rhai, tried this option since they came from Cebu City
Top Attractions to See in Siargao Island
Sohoton Cove / Bucas Grande Islands in Socorro, Surigao del Norte
It’s a must-see attraction when you’re in Siargao Island. Travel time is about 2hrs (one-way via boat)
- Magpopongko Rock Pools and Flats – We missed to visit this place
- Sugba Lagoon – We also missed to visit this place
Where to Stay in Siargao Island
- Kesa Cloud 9 Resort – We stayed here for 2 days
- Point 303 Resort
- Ocean 101 Beach Resort